Saturday, November 15, 2008

Thing 15- Technorati

This was kind of interesting. I have to say that the capabilities to pull in news items was more interesting to me than the possibility of pulling in blogs on a topic. Perhaps that is because I don't like having to weed through someone's personal blog to see if there is any valid info in it. Though if it were a blog on sharing insights or interests on a topic, that would be a different thing.

I played with the search and advanced search options and found them useful. Anything that allows me to narrow down a search, and therefore narrow down the time it takes to find what I want, is good thing. This seems to be a recurrent theme on my blog and on my mind. There just is not enough time to take advantage of all these things. And when I do find them useful, I find they take a long time to use. Perhaps that is because our library is run on only 24 hours of paid time a week.----Simply not enough time to keep the library running and to take advantage of all these opportunities on the web.

However, I have already told one patron about Technorati because I could see it would be useful to them. So even if I, as a librarian, don't have the time to use all this, just knowing about it and being able to suggest it to patrons is a good thing.

No comments: