Saturday, November 15, 2008

Thing 16- Web 2.0 and Library 2.0

This is a very interesting topic. It is one that is somewhat overwhelming and a bit scary for a small rural library. I read the first 7 articles from "Web 2.0- Where Will it Take Libraries" on down. All were clearly advocating us to get with the program so to speak when it comes to Web 2.0 or Library 2.0 trends. While I can see the need for it and can see that it has huge potential to offer amazing access to info for patrons, I see many problems and obstacles: lack of time, lack of funding, lack of technical skill on the part of the part-time librarians, lack of technical skill on the part of patrons etc.

Just on the topic of lack off skill with patrons: Already many of our patrons are having a hard time keeping up with the pace of change. Older patrons especially (and by this I mean anyone over about 40) seem to be overwhelmed with all the navigating on the web. I spend a lot of time helping people figure out even simple things like how to set up an account with Google, or how to navigate a website. I am seeing symptoms of what I would call future shock in my patrons already.

So how to find time and resources for all this? When I read "Advocacy: A Ripple Effect" I was both inspired and discouraged. I had to chuckle at at the thought that this school was rural and small. It seems quite large by the standards of our small rural town.

In sum, this gives me so much to think about and and certainly shows that we are in for some exciting and challenging times.

No comments: