Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Week 9- Thing 17- Wikis

Well, I am very intrigued with this weeks "thing." I knew about wikipedia and have used it now and then. I knew how it worked basically, but not much more. But I had no idea that wikis had so many applications. I can see many uses for this. Whether it be lists of books library patrons recommend, or lists of books recommended for a book discussion group, all are a way to have people share in an interactive and ever-evolving site on a given topic. I really enjoyed the Book Lovers Wiki and Nancy Pearl's Book Lust wiki. I can see myself tapping into those for ideas on books to order for our library.

I can see the downfalls of wikis when it comes to things such as wikipedia where topics are supposed to be factual. There is a potential for real misinformation. But for sites where the info is mostly opinion---such as good book ideas etc, I think it has great potential.

No comments: