Monday, October 13, 2008

Week 3- Thing 7

Being a brand new librarian (I have been at my new part-time job for about 5 weeks now) I am running into technology related issues that I haven't had to deal with in my personal life in the past. This can be anything from patrons wanting help setting up a hotmail account (which I had never done until that point in time, but seemed to muddle through it OK), to patrons coming to me when the computer, printer or photocopiers jam. Though in other areas of library use I seem to be learning fast and handling patron questions, in this area I feel very inept. Sure, I know how to email, word process, do Internet searches etc. And I even know how to deal with my home printer and computer when it malfunctions sometimes, but I don't know how to deal with all these things at work.

As I tackle each of these things, I have begun to learn the quirks of our machines, and how to deal with paper jams etc. However, when the computers in particular do not behave, I really feel at a loss. Luckily my co-director is VERY knowledgeable about technology issues. She can troubleshoot and fix these things. But she is most often not here when I am here. So when a patron needs the computer or printer to work NOW, and I am the only one there, I am put on the spot and often feel quite stupid.

I just read an article in American Libraries magazine about this very issue. Part of the article talks about how patrons seem to feel that if the library provides computers for patron use, then the librarians are also there to help and should know how to deal with all technology issues or problems.

Clearly, I need to learn more. However, there is so much to know. And it is way beyond the hours that I am paid for or even my personal interest to know. I worry a little bit that taking this 23 Things course will expose me to these new things, but not give me enough knowledge to really deal with them. I guess we shall see at the end of this if I still feel the same way.

No comments: