Thursday, October 16, 2008

Week 4- Things 8- Exercise 4- RSS Feeds

OK- I have finally set up a Google Reader account and subscribed to 5 blogs. It took me way longer than expected because many of the blogs that I found did not have direct links to RSS feeds so that I could subscribe to them. As far as I can tell, I could not then subscribe to these sites other than to subscribe to and receive the blogs directly, which if I understand it correctly is not the same as receiving updates. (?)

I can see the benefit in these RSS feed subscriptions because I do not have to take the time to look at my favorite sites to see if there are any updates. Instead I will just receive the updates, which is great. Time is in short supply both in my job and in my personal life. So anything that saves time is high on my list.

Still, I wonder, do you end up getting all these "updates" and then don't have time to read through it all? Do people then clutter up their computer with it or just delete things because there is not time to actually read all the updates. I guess I will see with time. But I most certainly was excited to see the wide array of blogs out there about books in their many shapes and forms. It really gives one the feel of being a part of a huge community of book lovers!!

No comments: